Thursday, March 18, 2010

Insemination Day!!!

And what a day it has been!!!

I woke up this morning, surprisingly after a great night's sleep & got ready...I had to laugh at myself as I was primping as though I was getting ready for a date or something!! I even wore pretty underwear!!

I got to the clinic about 25 minutes early (my appointment was at 10:30am)...that place is BUSY!!! So I waited...and waited...and waited. At about 10:50 I was shown into an exam room where I waited...and waited...and waited. The Nurse popped her head in & introduced herself & said they had a small emergency with 1 of their clients & would just be a few minutes...so I continued to wait...and wait...and wait.

Then the Nurse came in along with the Dr...I knew something was up since the Dr was there. He proceeds to explain that there had been a malfunction & that my spermies were no longer viable...my heart dropped! He went on to explain about the incubator, etc...but I all I heard was, "Blah, blah, blah..." I thought they were explaining that we wouldn't be able to inseminate & I just wanted them to shut up!! I was about to burst into tears & I just wanted to get out of there!

Then I hear, "...so we have a new sample being sent..." & I tune back in thinking, "wait, what?" I interrupt saying, "So we can still inseminate?" Yes, we can!!! That was what all the waiting was about...I was the client with the small emergency!! They had already contacted the donor clinic & were having a new sample sent ASAP. They were so serious & so apologetic...which is good I guess but it made me so fatalistic! But once I realized it was all still a go, I was okay with that! So what that I have to wait another couple of hours!! The new spermies are probably better & stronger anyway!!

I have to say here how great they were. They, of course, would cover the cost of the 2nd sample & shipping costs...but I was really grateful that they didn't just come in & say, "we screwed up" they were proactive & had a solution & a plan. The nurse was so friendly & genuine...she really made what could have been a very negative situation turn out to be a great story to tell about my 1st IUI...hopefully this will be a great pregnancy story!! Like my friend had told me, "That which comes easily to us, we take for granted."

Anyway, I left the clinic & headed over to Square One to kill the 2 hours before I went back...through all of that waiting, I had started to wish I had brought someone with me. Well, as fate would have it, I get a text from my aunt & she had finished work early! So I called her & we met up for lunch & she came back to the clinic with me to wait.

It really was great having her there with me & it was so exciting to be there when the courier brought in my spermies...after all of the waiting, I found it kinda funny how quick it took for the insemination to be done...& all before rush hour!!

So now the real waiting begins...12 days...I go for my pregnancy test on March 30th...unless, of course I get my period...but positive thoughts!!

P.S. Something fun: My sis-in-law counted out the 40 weeks from today & guess when that is? Don't go count, I'll tell you: December 23rd...this could be a Christmas Baby!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice they were proactive!
    Crossing my fingers :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Billy...BTW, I have been reading your blog (I started from the beginning & am only up to August, 2009 so far) but am really getting a lot of insight & inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'll start reading yours from oldest first, as I have time. It's been interested reading others' experiences. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the wait isn't making you too crazy! A Christmas baby would be wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Mama, I have learned so much from the blogs I follow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking Sticky thoughts for you! I'll be reading through your two week wait....
    I have my first IUI next month so I'm very interested in your thoughts and will definitely be reading through all your older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for you! It sounds like it was all timed perfectly! I heard the tww is a nail biter, but hopefully it's gone by faster than you expected. Only a few more days! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated so I've turned off the verification!